What If My Car Is Damaged During Transport

By Campbell Shahan

If you are not prepared for it this can be a frightening moment. It doesn't have to be of course. During the screening portion and while you are comparing prices is the right moment to handle this issue.

All truckers/carriers that are licensed and permitted by the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) are required to carry insurance. The question for you is do they indeed have it? This can be found out online at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration web site.

While discussing this with a carrier/trucker, simply ask them to fax or mail you a copy of their proof of insurance. If you have selected an Auto Transport Broker to work with, you will quickly discover that he is only to happy to provide you with the needed information. This type of service is part of what a Broker does.

But, what do I do if my car is damaged during car shipping ?

The Answer: Upon arrival at it's destination, you and the driver need to inspect the car before you sign the bill of lading. If damage is discovered that is new (not there when the car was loaded) simply make a note of it on the bill of lading and get a copy. Request the driver provide you with proof of cargo insurance with contact information for his insurance company. All that is required is for you to file a claim with his insurance provider and supply them with a copy of that bill of lading that indicates damage (be sure that this is signed by both your and the trucker) and send along an estimate of repairs from you body shop.

After discovering damage and while still with the driver is the best time to make that call to his insurance company and request instructions on filing your claim. Legitimate insurance companies will always be helpful and friendly as they have no reason not to be. If you can't call them right then, don't worry, you can call them later, or simply call your Auto Transport Broker, he can assist.

A point to remember here is that household goods are not supposed to be in your car (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) and they are not covered by your trucker's insurance.

Light damage is really not that unusual in the business of transporting vehicles. It is usually handled very easily and routinely. Your car will usually be well taken care of and fixed if damaged. It really is a small problem and with time will go away.

If you are working with an Auto Transport Broker, relax because most of them check out the truckers you will use very carefully during the quoting process. Part of their job is to only select the good guys. You can count on it.

About the Author:

Grab The Post URL

HTML link code:
BB (forum) link code:

1 Response to "What If My Car Is Damaged During Transport"

  1. This can be found out online at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration web site.