Documents Needed To Register A Vehicle in the UK

By Sammy Leon

To register a new vehicle in the UK you need to visit your local DVLA office. There you will be asked for documentation to prove who you are and where you live. You will also need to prove that you are the owner of the car you are trying to register. You need to fill out a DVLA form as well which ideally you should do before you go. It is wise to check the opening times of your local DVLA office and to make sure that you do not need to make an appointment for registering your vehicle. Normally you do not have to do so, but it is worth checking just in case.

Two primary forms are typically required in order to licence (tax) your vehicle and register it depending on your circumstances:

The V55/4 form is the one you need if you are registering a new vehicle. It is also the form you need to fill out if you are registering a brand new imported vehicle. Kit cars also need to be registered using the V55/4 form.

If you have restored a car, including a kit car, and are effectively re-registering it the V55/5 form needs to be used. It is also the correct form to use when registering a used car you have brought that the previous owner has not transferred properly.

Whichever form you use you have to accompany the form with at least 2 other documents. One proves your ID the other proves that you actually live at the address the car is being registered to.

Documents which confirm your name are also required. You need at least one of these documents, but it is wise to take more than one with you just in case. The DVLA accept a birth certificate, certificate of marriage, a current DVLA issued drivers licence, a decree nisi or absolute or a passport as proof of name. The best documents to use are those with your photo on it.

The car you are registering must be registered at the address you are currently resident off. To prove where you live you need a current council tax bill, bank statement or utility bill, which must be no more than 3 months old. If you have a current NHS medical card you can use that instead.

About the Author:

Grab The Post URL

HTML link code:
BB (forum) link code:

Leave a comment

  • Google+
  • 0Blogger
  • Facebook
  • Disqus

0 Response to "Documents Needed To Register A Vehicle in the UK"

Post a Comment

comments powered by Disqus