Telling The DVLA That You Have Sold Your Vehicle

By Sali Winchester

If you sell a car in the UK it is the DVLA that you must notify of the fact you have done so. The person who is selling the car is responsible for carrying out the notification process. However, the new owner needs to complete part of the paperwork to enable the DVLA to process it, so most people fill out the document at the time of the sale. It is the Registration Document that you must fill out for most vehicles it is the V5C form that you are filling out. It is wise to post the form yourself some new owners want to post it themselves, but it is better if you do it yourself because the car is your responsibility until the DVLA process the paperwork. This means that if the new owner gets a speeding fine or a parking ticket it will be sent to you and you will be expected to pay the fine if you cannot persuade the new owner to do so.

It is important to fill out the V5C form accurately. Read through the form before filling it out, the type of vehicle you are selling dictates which part of the form needs to be filled out. If you make a mistake getting a new V5C to fill out again is a costly and time consuming process. If you can make a copy of the completed V5C before you send it off. At the very least make a note of the new owners name and address.

In order to determine the sections of the car registration certificate or document which will need to be filled out when selling your vehicle, you will need to determine which one of these DVLA registrations are in your possession at the time of the sale. There are normally three different forms so you need to determine which one you have. They are the 2-part V5 registration document, the 3-part V5 registration document and the V5C Registration Certificate.

Given that you are sending important documents through the post it is wise to send them recorded delivery. This will also help you should the documents not arrive promptly. You can demonstrate when you sent everything off and the new owner can use this fact to chase the DVLA for the new documents.

If you are in any doubt whatsoever about registering the vehicle you have sold with its new owner the DVLA website is a good source of information. Alternatively you can ring them, but only on weekdays.

About the Author:

Grab The Post URL

HTML link code:
BB (forum) link code:

Leave a comment

  • Google+
  • 0Blogger
  • Facebook
  • Disqus

0 Response to "Telling The DVLA That You Have Sold Your Vehicle"

Post a Comment

comments powered by Disqus